Thursday, January 29, 2009

InaugBlog

It's interesting that in preparation for speech writing for George W. Bush, Michael Gerson "studied every single presidential inaugural address in American history" (ChristianityToday.com). This makes me trust his opinion because his background and merit are established, something that is very important for any author. I definitely agree with Gerson's observation that Obama's rhetoric was ineffective and cliché. I had noticed myself that the speech seemed particularly "flat," to use Gerson's word, although I thought that's how politician's speeches were supposed to be! They really should not only present poignant ideas, but present them in a way that is memorable, intriguing, and stimulating. Gerson noted that Obama's inaugural speech "could have literally been given by any president in American history" and "wasn't equal to the moment." I think that as PRESIDENT OF THE UNTIED STATES OF AMERICA, he should definitely have risen to the occasion. Every detail, including his diction, syntax, delivery, language, etc. should be meticulously planned and held to a very high standard.

No comments: